Friday, May 29, 2009

The Adventure Begins



Greetings from Madrid!  The start of my travels has been interesting indeed. I started it off with Thai food in Chicago last night as well as a last visit to Trader Joe's (to get soy ice cream and snacks for the plane, of course).  The connection from Chicago to Miami ended up being an hour delayed, so I got to Miami and trekked across the airport only to have ten minutes rest before boarding the second plane.

And how was the food on the plane? Not bad, though the breakfast was another complete miss.  Dinner consisted of a salad with a balsamic/oil dressing, roll, cantaloupe slices, and a curry.  The curry wasn't too bad and consisted of a tomato base with chickpeas, bell peppers, and a few slivers of tofu.  Breakfast on the other hand, well, let's just say I'll be sending a letter to American Airlines when I get back. It was not very vegan friendly at all. I was served orange juice, yogurt, and a croissant just like everyone else. The yogurt, of course, was not vegan, and I suspect that the croissant wasn't either, but I ate it anyway because I was so hungry and didn't have any food on me.


I haven't done much in Madrid yet since I'm waiting for the jet lag to catch up with me! However, my friend that I'm visiting has already taken me to Maoz falafel. It wasn't too bad, though the falafel itself was a little salty.

It is supposed to be rather warm this weekend, so today I shall take a small nap before exploring on my own and hopefully finding a vegan friendly restaurant for dinner since I can't meet up with my friend again until much later. Here's to crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Huzah! Welcome back (well... almost). I have a very interesting housing arrangement which I think will be to your liking. On Monday I move into an apartment by myself for two weeks before I move into the room in the WG which I actually applied for. It's the end of very complex house-hunt and I will tell you the details when I see you.

But the really good bit is that there will be no strange flatmates around when you visit, although I am not sure of the möbel-status. Details to come.

Also, let me know when you will get to K Hauptbahnhof - even on the day will be alright - and, of course, I'll come and pick you up.

In the meantime, I'll scout out some decent restaurants (I'm not sure how well K does vegan food, but being a German university town there should be *somewhere*), and, of course, I'll look up some recipes which I hope will be to your taste. (A lot depends on how well-equipped this holding pen of an apartment is.)

I'm looking forward to seeing you soon!