Thursday, October 1, 2009

VeganMoFo: Reminiscing and plans!


So, I apologize, but my first post for VeganMoFo is going to be a bit of a cop-out. My only excuse is that I just got back from trivia night and also took a 3 hour long Inorganic Exam this evening (yes, and it was as bad as it sounds). But, on to bigger and better things...

A friend of mine is currently in Germany, particularly Berlin, so I've been reflecting a lot on my time there and missing the place like none other. (Especially when he uploads pictures from Prenzlauerberg; my old stomping grounds.) Once I finish my exams for this week (another tomorrow evening...oh joy), I'm going to up the level of cooking since I have been so lazy this week. First on my list is to recreate my favorite Streich spread, which is the amazing sunflower seed based spread that can be found in most German health food stores ( Biomarkt or Bioladen). The flavor of apple and onion may seem quite strange, but it was the favorite of the ones that I brought back with me. (My supply is slowly dwindling, so I need to figure out how to recreate them fast!) Even though Germany may not seem like the most vegan-friendly place, I have found it to be quite accommodating, especially when one has a good enough grasp of the language. I've actually found it to be easier to get food there than in the middle of nowhere Illinois, believe it or not...

Another two things that should be getting more use this month are my two German vegan-friendly cookbooks that I brought back with me. I cook my own bread, so I'm going to experiment with a German cookbook about bread baking, and the other is 'Baking without milk and eggs'. Surprisingly, the book is not totally vegan (apparently goat milk is ok?), but it seems easily adaptable. I'm excited to see how they work and to exercise my German skills once more while reading them!

Sooo get ready for a month of a menagerie of posts, and happy MoFo-ing to all!


6 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Hey - good to know you'll be baking some Bread as this is my intention this Mofo season - I might be coming to you for some help! I'm looking forward to the sunflower seed spread experiments.
:)

Mihl said...

I recognized the Fernsehturm! I have a friend (of course she lives in Berlin), who is totally crazy about it.
I love Streich and I have made it myself, too. Maybe you find my recipe helpful.
http://seitanismymotor.wordpress.com/2007/07/12/sunflower-seed-spread/

No More Sad Geraniums said...

Mihl, I was planning on using your recipe as a starting point and experimenting with flavor ratios from there!

Mary said...

Maybe you'll move back to Germany after you finish school. Happy baking!

Steffi said...

ah, I remember the bread... thought I'd never miss it.

Meg said...

OMG so jealous of your German cookbooks!!!