Sunday, October 11, 2009

Produce Adventures: Brussel Sprouts


If veganism has taught me anything, I have learned to be more adventuresome in regards to my foods. New to me (aka strange) spices, grains, or produce? Alrighty! But in all honesty, if it weren't for my turn to veganism, I would never have discovered that swiss chard is one of my favorite vegetables or quinoa a well enjoyed grain. Recently, I realized that I had not been as adventuresome in trying new foods as of late, so I figured MoFo was as good as an excuse as any.


So without any ado, let me present brussel sprouts. This vegetable seems to have a less than desired reputation of being served in school cafeterias and such to young kids. I don't know if this is still the case, but I was hardly ever exposed to it as a child. I got adventuresome last fall and prepared some with the cornmeal crusted Indian spiced recipe from Veganomicon. It was good, but all that oil made me not want to prepare it on a regular basis. Enter this recipe. After being bookmarked for ages, I finally decided to give it a try. The only alterations that I made to the meal was subbing apples for the pears and just sprinkling the baked stuff with marjoram and fennel instead of adding the tempeh mix. I was surprised by the simplicity of the meal and got to have fun with purple potatoes. (Not sure if I've ever had the pleasure before!) I have a feeling that variations on this meal will be making appearances in my meal rotations from now on.

4 comments:

Leslie Richman said...

I love brussels sprouts! Every which way :)

Mary said...

Glad you got in touch with brussels. They're one of my favorites!

Jen Treehugger said...

I adore brussel sprouts - gonna get some today! That recipe sounds amazing, thanks for the link.
:)

Erin said...

Oh wow, I had forgotten about that recipe! Thanks for trying it. I need to re-visit that gravy. I like your modifications too, it sounds really good made this way.

I love brussels cooked in almost any manner, but I always seem to roast them because it's my absolute favorite way, and it's so easy!