Saturday, October 3, 2009

Good-bye summer...

So, I have come to realize that I've been in denial about the end of summer and the approaching fall. The weather has certainly been changing here, but today is the first beautiful day this whole week. If only it could stay 70 and partly cloudy for a little longer... Another indication of fall was a distinct drop off in the tomatoes available at the Farmer's Market this morning. There were some heirlooms, but no roma or cherry tomatoes to be found, which means that I'll be switching over to canned tomatoes very soon. So, here is a brief pictorial tribute to the tomatoes and summer produce that I've enjoyed in the past few weeks.


One good thing about fall is the varieties of apples, squash, and bell peppers! I love red bell peppers so much. I'm way excited because this morning I got an eight quart box for only $15! Those beauties are getting chopped up or roasted and stuck in the freezer for the winter. However, I may have to find a way to sneak one or two into a bell pepper centered dish later this week...

2 comments:

Mary said...

Gorgeous peppers! I love fall weather and fall foods--squash, potatoes, edible roots of all kinds--so I'm in heaven this time of year.

Jen Treehugger said...

Yep - I'll miss good tomatoes and basil. But as one season ends another begins and brings glorious delights of it's own.
:)